Everyone says to cut cliches out of your writing – they are overused and beaten into the ground. However, cliches are popular for a reason – they contain a lot of truth and wisdom. Good writing is original and does not include cliches – but good living can be had by following these fifty cliches. Here are 50 wise cliches to live by:
1. Many hands make light work.
2. A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link.
3. Pick the low hanging fruit.
4. The buck stops here.
5. Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
6. There’s no place like home.
7. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
8. Think outside the box.
9. Eat your own dog food.
10. Keep your nose to the grindstone.
11. The Acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.
12. All in due time.
13. All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.
14. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
15. An idle mind is the devil’s playground.
16. Am I my brother’s keeper?
17. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
18. Actions speak louder than words.
19. All for one, and one for all.
20. All that glitters is not gold
21. Dip your toe in the water.
22. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
23. Always look on the bright side.
24. Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.
25. Call a spade a spade.
26. Ace in the hole.
27. Every dark cloud has a silver lining.
28. Beat swords into ploughshares.
29. The early bird catches the worm.
30. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man health, wealthy and wise.
31. Altitude is determined by attitude.
32. Do not be a fair weather friend.
33. A good beginning makes a good ending.
34. Batten down the hatches, lower the boom, raise the mizenmast: full speed ahead!
35. Get your foot in the door.
36. Get your head in the game.
37. Better late than never.
38. Beware the green-eyed monster.
39. Are you a man or a mouse?
40. Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!
41. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
42. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
43. Cut your losses, but…
44. Do not cut corners.
45. It’s not the size of the dog in the fight. It’s the size of the fight in the dog.
46. Don’t bite off more than you can chew.
47. It’s what’s on the inside that counts.
48. Crime doesn’t pay.
49. It ain’t over till the fat lady sings.
50. Dance to the beat of your own drummer.
There you go, 50 pieces of sage advice for better living – all thanks to your English teacher’s bane, the cliche.
David Parizek is webmaster of ILoveUMan.com. Get more sage advice and share your favorite cliches at I Love Cliches – check it out today, includes free graphics for your website or blog. Long Live Cliches!
Find More Live Radio ArticlesMore