The quality of our lives, to a large extent, depends upon how to choose to live it. Sure, there will always be challenges, but that’s just the nature of life. Our overall well being can be shaped by a few simple principles. We can live haphazardly and or we can create an environment that is more conducive to peace and contentment. Listed below are seven rituals you can adopt that will lead to a happier and more fulfilling life.
1. Gather with family. The family unit is the nucleus, the hub, in most of our lives. Family is where we can let our guards down and be ourselves. Family is where we can go to share stories, be encouraged and not be judged. Yet, it’s so easy to get caught up in the daily rigors of life and become scattered. It would be great if we could all return to the days of gathering at Mama’s house for Sunday dinner, but for many of you that’s just not feasible. But, if you happen to live in another city or state and can only make it home on holidays, then adopt a family to huddle with on a regular basis. If you’re married (or single) with children at home, make it a practice to eat a meal together each day.
2. Do something you enjoy. Most people really only need an hour or two a day to do something that they really enjoy doing, whether it is reading, watching a ball game, taking a walk, gardening, or just sitting or lying still, thinking about whatever comes to mind. This is one of the most important things you can do to help yourself achieve balance.
3. Guard your private time. Trying to juggle all of the demands for your time and attention can be overwhelming. YOU should be at the very top of your list of priorities. When YOU are right everything else will fall into place. If getting time alone is something you would like to make a priority, but you don’t have time, then something definitely needs to give. Don’t allow work and other distractions to intrude on your personal time. Do a little less so that you can spend more time with yourself. Just as you schedule your doctor’s appointments and your parent-teacher conferences, you should put private time on your “to-do” list and stick to it. Carve out time in your day to contribute to yourself. Spend a day at the spa, hang out with your friends, take a long luxuriant bath, or whatever suits your fancy!
4. Take care of your body. Regular exercise and healthy eating habits should not be taken for granted. They should be incorporated into your daily life. Come up with a regimen that fits into your schedule. Just walking 30 minutes per day, taking the stairs rather than the elevator or parking farther away from the building are minimal activities than can reap benefits. Whatever you decide to do, apply discipline and consistency.
5. Be a giver. Showing compassion for others keeps you humble and demonstrates where your priorities lie. There is no greater feeling than knowing that you are helping to meet the needs and making a positive impact in the lives of others. Giving is just as much a blessing to you as it is to the recipient.
6. Keep your finances in order. When your finances are out of order it can affect others areas of your life, particularly your relationships. There is peace and harmony in your household when the finances are in order. Financial weight will make it difficult to focus on our other responsibilities and keep you from pursuing your dreams.
7. Stay connected to God. Attend church on a regular basis. Make it a daily practice to spend time in the presence of God. Set aside at least 15 minutes each morning getting centered before rushing off to work. Prayer and Scriptures will help to keep you grounded in the midst of challenges and chaos encountered during the day. Whisper silent prayers throughout the day and end your day with prayer and inspiration.
Practicing these tenets on a regular basis will help to ensure that your life remains balanced. A balanced life is a “healthy” life. If you desire to live a happier and more fulfilling life, start incorporating these seven rituals today.
Rebecca McClain is a life and business coach. She is the founder and CEO of Life Treasures, LLC. As an entrepreneur, author, speaker and coach she is recognized as an expert in personal and professional success and fulfillment. Visit her website to receive a free audio CD http://www.rebeccamcclain.com
Find More Live Radio ArticlesMore