A few nice radio station images I found:
NYC – Queens – Astoria: Kaufman Astoria Studios
Image by wallyg
Kaufman Astoria Studios was opened by the legendary Adolph Zuckor in 1920 for the Framous Players Film Company, which evolved into Famous Plaskers-Lasky and then Paramount Pictures, of which he served as president until his death in 1936.
Over 100 films were produced at Astoria during the Twenties. New York was the center of the fledgling film industry, and Astoria was the Mecca of the Silent Era. The main stage, basement stages and exterior backlot were heavily utilized, with up to six feature films in production at any given time. It was here at the Studio that the moving picture industry developed many of the techniques that were to become the conventions of production. From Valentino, Swanson, the Gish sisters and W.C. Fields, Astoria was home to the great talents of an exciting new industry. With the advent of "talkies", production at Astoria blossomed. Drawing on the wealth of writing and acting talent of Broadway, the Studio profited from its proximity to "the great white way". The Letter, the first all talking feature film shot at the Studio, earned an Oscar nomination for actress Jeanne Eagels. The talking film debuts of Claudette Colbert, Edward G. Robinson and Tallulah Bankhead were filmed here.
The Marx Brothers moved from Broadway to the silver screen in Astoria to produce their first two films–The Cocoanuts (1929) and Animal Crackers (1930).. In addition to the scores of feature films produced at Astoria, the Studio was home to the famed Paramount Newsreels ("the eyes and ears of the world"), and Paramount¹s prolific short film divisions. By the end of this period Adolf Zukor, the man who built the studio, had already moved out to California, as did much of the film industry.
At the start of WWII, in 1942 the United States Army Signal Corps Army Pictorial Service took over the studio for the making of Army training and indoctrination films, during which it became known as the Army Pictorial Center. In 1970 the Studio was declared "surplus property" by the Army and turned over to the Federal Government. In 1972, the Government offered the property to the City University of New York for use as the campus for LaGuardia Community College. The city budget crisis, however, did not allow the development to occur. Production returned to Astoria in 1975, with the leasing of the Studio for the production of Thieves and, the following year, The Next Man. he Studio was formally re-opened in 1977, under the auspices of the Astoria Motion Picture and Television Center Foundation, which acquired a lease for the property from the Government.
In 1982 the title to the Studio was transferred to the City of New York, and in 1982 real estate developer George S. Kaufman in partnership with Alan King, Johnny Carson and others, obtained the lease from the City. Kaufman proceeded to renovate, expand and revive the landmark into a full-service, comprehensive studios capable of handling any type, size and style of production.
Today, KAS is the location for major motion pictures, independent film, television shows and commercials. Telvision show credits include Sesame Street, The Cosby Show, MTV Unplugged, and Angels in America. Motion picture credits include The Wiz, The Warrios, All That Jazz, Arthur, Ragtime, Hair, Brighton Beach Memoirs, Radio Days, Money Pit, Ishtar, Fletch Lives, Glengarry Glen Ross, Scent of a Woman, Age of Innocence, and Carlito’s Way. It also houses the studios of WFAN, the nation’s first all-sports talk radio station.
Famous Players-Lasky Studio, now Kaufman’s Astoria Motion Picture and Television Center, was designated a landmark, as Paramount Studios Building No. 1, by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1978.
National Register # 78001897 (1978)
NYC – Queens – LIC: P.S. 1 – hallway
Image by wallyg
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, an affiliate of The Museum of Modern Art, is the oldest and second largest non-profit arts center in the United States solely devoted to contemporary art. From its inception, P.S.1 has championed the alternative space movement through its cutting-edge approach to exhibitions and direct involvement of artists within a scholarly framework
Founded in 1971 by Alanna Heiss as The Institute of Art and Urban Resources Inc., P.S.1 was primarily dedicated to the transformation of abandoned and underutilized buildings in New York City into exhibition, performance, and studio spaces for artists. Today, P.S.1 operates two internationally acclaimed spaces for contemporary art: P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center in Long Island City and the Clocktower Gallery in Lower Manhattan, both of which contain museum- quality galleries and extensive studio facilities. In addition to its renowned exhibitions, the institution also organizes the prestigious International and National Projects series, the Warm Up summer music series, and the MoMA/P.S.1 Young Architects Program with The Museum of Modern Art. It also runs WPS1, an Internet art radio station founded in 2004. P.S.1 has been affiliated with The Museum of Modern Art since January of 2000.
In 1976, Heiss opened P.S.1 Museum, now P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center in a deserted Romanesque Revival building that served as the first school in Long Island City until 1960, when it was shuttered due to low attendance. In October 1997, P.S.1 reopened to the public after a three-year renovation project by Los Angeles-based architect Frederick Fisher, including a new large outdoor gallery, a dramatic entryway, and a two-story project space.
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center and the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) formalized their affiliation in January 2000, bringing together a leader in cutting-edge art and the world’s foremost museum of modern art.
Smoke From The Fire At Guinness
Image by infomatique
Today there was a major fire at the Guinness plant in St James’s Gate plant in Dublin city centre. According to reports from local radio stations the blaze broke out when building materials being used by workmen to repair a felt roof with a torch caught fire.
Crews from six units of the Dublin Fire Brigade and aerial appliances successfully battled to bring the fire under control and stop it from spreading to a nearby ammonia plant.
Dublin Fire Brigade reported that it took 15 units about three hours to bring the flames under control. Two firefighters were in stable condition at the nearby St. James Hospital after inhaling what colleagues suspected was ammonia gas.