A few nice texas images I found:
David Myers, Farmers Branch, Texas Historical Marker
Image by fables98
(October 15, 1797 – March 9, 1853) William Myers (b. 1753) and his wife Flora moved from Virginia to Kentucky, where the last of their ten children, David Myers, was born. David married fellow Kentuckian Letitia Reddish (1801 – 1885) in 1820. They moved to Indiana in 1829 and to Illinois in 1831, where David became a well-established Baptist Preacher. In 1843 he was ordained at Taylor’s Creek Church in Jersey County, Illinois. Inspired by the prospect of free land in Texas, David and Letitia traveled south with their children and grandchildren, and on Christmas Eve, 1845, they crossed the Red River into Texas. They settled on a land grant in Peters Colony located 12 miles northwest of the present-day city of Dallas. Myers quickly established himself as a religious leader of the pioneer settlements in this area and on May 10, 1846, organized the Union Baptist Church, the earliest continuing Baptist congregation in Dallas County. He served Union Baptist Church until his death and was instrumental in the establishment of other churches in the area including Bethel, Rowlett Creek, Liberty, and Lonesome Dove. Myers died of pneumonia resulting from exposure to cold rain on his return home after delivering a sermon in Collin County.
Granite Mountain, Marble Falls, Texas Historical Marker
Image by fables98
This 866-foot dome of solid pink granite, covering 180 acres, contains the largest quarry of its kind in the United States. This mountain, like all granite formations, was once melted rock similar to lava. As the molten rock cooled thousands of feet below the earth’s surface, it hardened into large crystals of quartz, feldspar and several dark-colored minerals. Wherever strength, durability and beauty of finish are required, granite is a favored building stone. The mountain was part of a grant made to Texas colonist William Slaughter. The site became famous commercially when a dispute arose in the 1880s over the type of stone to be used in the Capitol in Austin. The issue was settled in 1885 when Governor John Ireland resisted demands to use non-native limestone. Following this decision, a special track was built to haul the granite to the rail line in Burnet. The stone was generously donated to the state by quarry owners G. W. Lacy, N. L. Norton, and W. H. Westfall. Today granite from the quarry here is shipped to all parts of Texas, the U.S. and foreign countries for use in monuments, shafts, jetties, and buildings. It has been used in the Galveston sea wall and in new state office buildings near the Capitol in Austin.